How to Unblock Netflix, Amazon Instant and 60 Other Channels with No Location Restrictions on Your PlayStation 3 or 4
There are several ways to get around location restrictions on subscription sites like Netflix and Hulu using apps, extensions and proxies, but they tend to only work on laptops and computers. Users who want to access content from mobile devices and gaming consoles are usually out of luck.
A new service called Unlocator wants to change that by letting you bypass geographical restrictions on all your devices from the same account, including your PlayStation 3 or 4. It's in beta right now, and free to register until the official launch. After that, it'll cost around 5 bucks per month, but unlike Netflix you don't have to provide a credit card number to sign up for the trial.
Unlocator currently supports over 60 channels including Netflix, Hulu, Crackle and Amazon Instant. My favorite feature is the ability to jump between different countries for Netflix, which lets you access content from any region and opens up a lot more choices to watch.
There's no software to install once you create your account. All you have to do is change the DNS settings on your console. Here's how.
For PlayStation 3:
- Go to Settings --> Network Settings
- Select Internet Connection Settings and click Yes when the warning prompt appears
- Choose Custom and scroll to the right to find DNS Settings
- Select Manual, then change the Primary to 188.8.131.52 and the Secondary to 184.108.40.206
- Check the connection when prompted, then restart your console
For PlayStation 4:
- Go to Settings --> Network
- Select Set up internet connection --> Custom, then choose whether you want to use WiFi or LAN
- Under IP-address, choose Automatic
- For DHCP Host Name, select Do Not Specify
- Choose Manual for DNS Settings and change the Primary to 220.127.116.11 and the Secondary to 18.104.22.168
- Hit Next and check the connection when prompted, then restart your console
Once you've changed your DNS settings, all you have to do is load up the app you want to use and you're good to go. Not all the channels are compatible with PS4 yet, but they're working on adding more. Check out the compatibility chart to see which ones are available.
NOTE: If you plan on using the service to watch American channels that aren't available in your country, be sure to use a zip code in the United States when signing up for that channel. And try to be a little more creative than "90210".
Have you used Unlocator? Let us know what you think in the comments.